Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Henrik Lundqvist Wants To Play On Monday

ShareThis




DETROIT—Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t about to parse his words.
The Rangers franchise goaltender will not dress for his second straight game Saturday night against the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena because of a mysterious injury. Yet as the Blueshirts’ season-opening nine-game road trip comes to an end, finally a home game against the Canadiens on Monday at the revamped Garden, there was hesitation from Lundqvist about his desire to be the one in net.
“It’s tough to be patient,” he said after the morning skate, what he called his first full practice in a week. “I’m not going hide it, I definitely want to play Monday. I want to be there and play in front of our fans. That’s my goal, but at the same time, you have to be smart about it. It’s a long season. We’ll see how I react to this. It was a good skate for me.”
It’s been ever tougher for Lundqvist to watch, as his team comes into this game at 2-6-0 and with the fewest goals (12) in the league. On Thursday in Philadelphia, 26-year-old rookie Cam Talbot got the first start of his career in a disappointing 2-1 loss.
“I know once Hank gets healthy I won’t be in there that often,” Talbot said. “So when I do get the chance, I want to make the best of it.”
Lundqvist is hoping that his team can put together a good game against the Red Wings (6-4-1), then get back to New York with a modicum of momentum.
“I think we all feel frustration right now, and not being able to be out there and help out just adds to it,” Lundqvist said. “But you have to stay positive. It’s been a test for us here, a tough start. But let’s try to get a game here tonight and then head back home and maybe we can turn a page coming back to New York. We start playing a few home games.
“We just have to turn everything into a positive thinking here. It’s been a long road trip for us. Come back home and play at the Garden on Monday is going to bring some life back to the group here.”
More life if he’s the one in nets.



http://nypost.com/2013/10/26/henrik-lundqvist-i-want-to-play-monday/


No comments:

Post a Comment