Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

John McEnroe Talks Lundqvist

ShareThis



Tennis legend John McEnroe, most identified with his Knicks fandom, has been a closet Rangers rooter since the 1970’s and he’s finally coming out now because of his new friendship with goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
Lundqvist, who faced the Devils last night in Game 1 of the conference finals, and his kids play tennis at McEnroe’s tennis academy on Randall’s Island. The King is also in McEnroe’s band as a blues guitarist.
McEnroe predicted another Rangers’ Stanley Cup yesterday.
“We’re becoming friends,’’ McEnroe said on a conference call to promote his World TeamTennis match July 19 versus Andre Agassi at Sporttime Stadium on Randall’s Island. “He’s an incredible athlete [on the tennis court]. I was surprised, but I shouldn’t be because I watched him as a goalie and the guy’s unbelievable and he’s the MVP of the league.’’


McEnroe has enjoyed rallying with the Swede.
“He’s probably the best player I’ve played who is not a ‘tennis player’,’’ McEnroe said. “He’s unbelievably quick and balanced on the court. I hate to admit he’s even a better guitar player than me. But at one stage, he was at the net, I hit a few balls to him and I was pitter-pattering around figuring these guys don’t want to get hit in the head. But I thought to myself, I’m playing Henrik Lundqvist. I could hit it as hard as I possibly could and he can knock it off like it was nothing.’’
McEnroe has attended two home games in each of the first two rounds with his daughters.
“My daughters are getting super into it,’’ McEnroe said. “That tells you something. It’s catching on. I think they’re going to win it all. I know the Devils are tough but I’m psyched. Henrik’s a great guy. I would be absolutely awesome if these guys won the Cup this year.’’





Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/mcenroe_picks_pal_rangers_to_win_IVYu97sXmMKSLeN6pmC4FO#ixzz1uymxXNFt

No comments:

Post a Comment