Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

Henrik Lundqvist Talks Fatherhood in New Video Interview

ShareThis



NY1 parenting correspondent Shelley Goldberg sat down with New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist to talk about being a father.
Yes, he's the king. And now, Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has a new role to play: as dad to 10-month old daughter Charlise.

"I was a little nervous going into it. You're not sure how much it's going to change your life, and it's a big responsibility, obviously, to take care of a little baby," Lundqvist says. "The first couple months, it was hard to kind of connect a little bit, but then, there was this day when she started looking at you, and then a couple weeks later, she starts turning around. And when she hears your voice, she knows you're there. And that was a big thing."

Another big change?

"Obviously, not getting the sleep that I'm used to getting. That's a new thing," he says.

Even though he reigns supreme as a Ranger, Lundqvist knows there's always room for improvement at home.

"I have to work on a lot of things. That's true. My patience, and I think I'm, especially during the season, I'm more stressed than offseason. To have, it's easy for me to be relaxed and understand that things, things won't go perfectly all the time with a little kid, and that's easier for me to handle when I'm not under pressure," he says. "A little more patience would not hurt for me, that's for sure."

Ultimately, for Lundqvist, the goal is to find balance on and off the ice.

"Maybe I grew up a little bit having this baby, but you have, I think it changes your priorities a little bit," he says. "I don't want it to be too much hockey. I don't want it to be too much off-ice stuff, either. Life is about finding that balance where you just feel comfortable and happy, and that's when you're going to perform the best as well on the ice."


Click here to view the interview on NY1.com (It doesn't allow embedding)




No comments:

Post a Comment