Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2020

New Henrik Lundqvist Swedish Interview; Says the "Rangers will always be a part of me, for the rest of my life"

ShareThis
After 15 seasons, Henrik Lundqvist's time in the New York Rangers is over. - There have been tears and many conversations with the family. But now it just feels good, he says. In an exclusive interview with SportExpressen, he tells about the family's plans for the move to Washington, how his daughters reacted over dad changing teams and about his recharging with tennis matches against John McEnroe.

 Henrik Lundqvist moved to New York at the age of 23 in the summer of 2005. It's been a very long time ... Göran Persson was then Prime Minister and George W Bush President. Then there was neither Twitter nor Instagram and Bianca Ingrosso was ten years old. Henrik Lundqvist became the audience favorite directly in Madison Square Garden. He then broke rows of club records, was named the league's best goalkeeper and played a Stanley Cup final. At the end of September, the New York Rangers chose to buy out Henrik Lundqvist from his last year on the contract. Just over five weeks later, the news came that the 38-year-old Swedish goalkeeper was ready for the Washington Capitals. 

Recently, Henke himself posted a TV clip, while training in a rink in New Jersey, wearing his new red Washington shirt. Henrik and his wife Therese were also visiting Washington recently with their children: Charlise, eight years old, Juli, four years old. Then Henke offered a happy TV clip as he danced around on a sidewalk in the city with his daughters. Ovetchkin is not allowed to practice direct shots In Washington, he is also reunited with his old teammate Carl Hagelin and national team mate Nicklas Bäckström, with whom Henke won World Cup gold in Cologne 2017. 

Henke suddenly becomes a teammate with Russian superstar Alexander Ovechkin. They have talked to each other and Henke has joked and said that Ovetchkin will not be allowed to train direct shots at him. Lundqvist has met Ovechkin and Washington in five hot playoff duels over the years, the Capitals won the first two, but the Rangers the last three in 2012, 2013 and 2015 - and all of these went to a seventh decisive match. Then Henke Lundqvist cracked the rivals from the US capital. Otherwise, over the years, two players have been most successful against Lundqvist with 24 goals in Swedish over the years, Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin  Now Lundqvist and Ovechkin are teammates. Capital's plan is for the promising Russian Ilya Samsonov to become the first goalkeeper - experienced Lundqvist will be a challenger.

 It will take time to get used to playing in Washington. Is that so for you too? 
 - Hehe. Yes, it is clear that this is a new chapter, absolutely. But I have put a lot of time into this whole process, so that I can really come to what feels right for me.

 How did you think? - It is clear that I began to realize when my time in New York came to an end. It already started when Rangers decided on a "rebuild" two years ago, when it would begin construction in the long term. My first 13 years we went to win and it was here and now that mattered. This has not been the case in recent years. Then it has been more of a future thinking. 

Are you disappointed with that? - My dream and goal has always been to end my career in New York. But then things happen out of your control, which cannot be influenced. Then it is important to be adaptable. Then I have to say that I just feel grateful to Rangers for everything I have been a part of that club. 

A club change like this can be like a divorce, it's not like you're a little angry and want to show the Rangers that they were wrong to let you go? 
- No, that's not the case at all. I think this part of my career, this new chapter - it has nothing to do with Rangers. This is just about myself and what I wanted to do in a new situation. - I had a long relationship with Rangers. But it was time for me to take the next step. When I think back on my 15 years in New York, I just feel joy and gratitude. I feel a good feeling. I think back on everything I have experienced and everyone who has supported me. - I will always appreciate my years in New York. Rangers will always be a part of me, for the rest of my life. I feel very proud of it. It also makes it easier to take the next step. But I do not remain in what has been. Now it's history.

 How was it that you would continue to play hockey - did you think of quitting? - Yes, all the cards were on the table. It really was a process to go through. That was not easy. It started with the fact that I had to get used to the idea that it would be something completely new. I went I went through a lot of different thoughts. But in the end I came to the conclusion that I still think it's so much fun to play. I was not ready to quit.

 "An adventure for the whole family" He says there were many conversations at home in the Manhattan apartment with his wife Therese and the children. He really wanted to involve the whole family. - We wanted to do something that felt good for the whole family. This is going to be a challenge and an adventure for all of us.

 How did your thoughts go when choosing a team? - We had four or five good option. We went through carefully what would fit best. What did the team look like? Where did I have a good chance to play a lot? Where anywhere was the best chance of winning? - Washington was really the best option. An exciting team with many good players and a good coach. And then there was the practicality. It's close to New York. Our children will stay in school in New York, the family will stay there. But we will have a home in Washington as well. Now we do not know at all what the game program will look like, so we have to take it a bit on the spur of the moment.

 Judging by your dance steps, did you like Washington? - Yes, haha. We had a great weekend there and visited, among other things, the home of the Hagelin family and the Bäckström family. We looked at accommodation. We thought it was exciting and an adventure - the whole family. 

But what do the girls, who have always cheered on Rangers, say about Dad changing teams? - Yes, hehe, it's not entirely easy, especially not for the oldest, who has been to so many games in the Garden. So this has been a process for them too. But now they just think it's an exciting one. Right now, it's just positive emotions. Then I'm 38 years old, I have a one-year contract. We are not talking about several years. 

But Washington, after all the playoff duels over the years - have not the Capitals been Rangers' worst rivals? - No, if you play in Rangers, then it is the teams in the New York region: Islanders and New Jersey, who are the worst rivals. And Philadelphia. Not Washington.

 But how did Rangers fans take this? - I can say that, when everything happened a few weeks ago, I received such support and love from so many places that it was absolutely fantastic. It was absolutely overwhelming to take it in. It was very emotional. 

Tears? - Yes, it has been extremely emotional. It was tears, absolutely, for both me and the family. 
He says that the feelings are joy and gratitude - and a little sad that the time in Rangers is over and he describes the last few weeks.
 - There have been tears and many conversations with the family. Then this was Rangers' decision. I accept that. But my love for the sport makes me want to continue playing and no one can blame me for that. I feel very straightforward in this situation and I only feel positive energy from the fans in New York.
 But if you keep a clean sheet against Rangers next season - then fans will not love you as much? - Haha, maybe not. But again, now it's the Capitals that apply to me. Then it will be a special season and probably matches completely without an audience. But it is clear that it will be very special to meet Rangers. 

If you had won that Stanley Cup final against Los Angeles in 2014 - would you have played on then? - It is clear that the desire to win is a big driving force, but then I still think it is so fun to play. Now I drive on my own with some coaches in a rink in New Jersey. I've been doing that for a month. I feel well prepared.

 How do you charge more? - I play some tennis. Against John McEnroe among others. We usually do it from time to time. Sometimes I even played against his brother Patrick as well. 

But you and John McEnroe (!) - two extreme winners - how are you? Do you argue if the ball has been inside or out? - Haha, no then, it's calm.
 Hm ... is that really true? - Yes, they are still incredibly good. So there will not be many matches when I play against them. It will be more like training. Very good training. 

Dreaming of doing like Raymond Bourque When I tell you that I was in the decisive final in Denver in 2001 when Raymond Bourque won the Stanley Cup after all the years in Boston and club changes to Colorado, Henrik becomes curious.
 - Well, you were there. I watched the match on TV in Sweden, says Henke and laughs when I tell about the reporter next to me in the press gallery who cried so the mascara ran so she became completely striped in the face.

 Do you daydream about making a Raymond Bourque? - I have had so many thoughts all autumn. I thought a lot about what I want to do in the future, even after hockey. But hockey remained what I want to do now. I am open to much else after my career and I have contacts in New York and a lot that interests me. But right now, my focus is on doing my best for the Washington Capitals. - Then the Stanley Cup is the goal. But just as much the journey there. I am very much looking forward to playing again. 

In 2020, the world has been shaken by the corona pandemic - how has your year been? - It has not been normal for anyone. Everything is upside down. But you have to find some form of normal feeling and security in everyday life. We were at home in Sweden a lot during the summer. Now the children are back in school, which is open in New York. You can only try to make the best of it.
https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/varit-tarar-och-manga-samtal-med-familjen/

No comments:

Post a Comment